Fried rice is one of the great choices for mums like me who want to avoid cooking pasta even though the kids ask for it almost everyday.
Growing up in Thailand, eating fried rice for breakfast and dinner is very common for us. So I basically pass that on to my children. I introduce fried rice to them when they were one year old. They get to eat fried rice at least once a week. I try to change ingredients and add some varieties because it’s good for them to try something new. I normally reduce the amount of seasoning sauce for my kids meals.
One of my sons requested salmon for dinner so I thought why not “Fried Rice with Garlic and Salmon”? It reminds me of my childhood. My mum often ordered for it for me and my brother in a Japanese restaurant in Bangkok.
Fried rice with garlic and Salmon (Kids Menu)
- Cooked rice 2cups (it’s better to cook rice one day earlier)
- Chopped carrots 2tbs
- Garlic 1tbs
- Chopped Onions 2tbs
- Egg 1
- Soy sauce 2tbs
- Seasoning sauce 1tbs
- A pinch of pepper
- Smoke salmon 3 pieces
What kind of rice is good to make fried rice?
white rice is commonly used for cooking fried rice because when white rice gets cold, it won’t stick together. you can also use jasmine rice [which i use], but use less water than usual to cook jasmine rice, and let the rice cool down before you fry it. the most popular technique is cooking your rice the day before and leave it in your fridge. you will get the same result .
- Heat a pan in medium to high, when the pan is hot add oil
- Add Onions, fry in medium heat then add garlic, [Do not burn the garlic, otherwise kids might not like them], then chopped carrots. Stir-fry.
- Add salmon and let it fry for 10seconds, put an egg in the pan, wait for 5 seconds then mix egg together with the rest. When egg is 90% cooked through put the rice in the pan and mix them well.
- Once rice is well mixed, turn up the heat, almost maximum, add Soy sauce, quickly mix it all over rice, then add seasoning sauce and a pinch of pepper. Make sure all ingredients are well mixed.
- Serve to children 😀
Takiangstyle คุณแม่ลูกสองสายชิล กับชีวิตในเยอรมัน